It is said that first impressions last forever. One of the first points of impression in every house is where visitors park their vehicles: the driveway, which leads to the main building. Today we at McFarlane Paving would like to introduce you to the basics of driveways and how they can be made.
How is a driveway defined?
|Driveway Company in NJ|
A driveway is a short, private road giving access from a public road or a street which leads to a house or a building such as a bank. Usually, cars are parked on a driveway. Driveways are owned by private individuals and so are outside the control of the government. The owner of a driveway may choose to decorate it the way he desires. In fact, most driveways are designed to conform with the architecture of the connected houses; thereby, giving an overall aesthetic view of the edifice. Driveways can be used for recreational purposes like picnics, strolling and relaxing after a stressful day; for washing cars, and a place for children to play on.
How are driveways made?
Some of the materials that can be used to make a driveway include concrete, decorative brick, cobblestone, gravel, pebble, asphalt, granite, grass etc. Making a basic driveway is easy and can be done by an owner by himself by using concrete. However, to give a driveway a scenic view and make it last for as long as ten years, a professional driveway company must be contracted.
What are some items to consider when choosing a driveway style?
- First of all, what is your preference? The two common driveway types are Natural stone sets and Concrete block paving. Natural stone sets give the more natural look and the stones come in different colors plus they are likely to last longer. Concrete block paving on the other hand are handmade and much more aesthetic, coming in a wider range of colors. The decision now comes to personal choice and budget.
- Water resistance: Sound driveway experts should be able to advise and recommend water resistant types based on the peculiarities such as ground type, the topography of the land, the size of the driveway and the budget of the owner.
- Stain resistance: Driveway types which will repel stains will most certainly be preferred over those that attract stains. Of course, that would mean less cleaning, less maintenance and less spending in the long run.
- Permanent color and texture: Driveway types that will retain colors permanently or at least for a considerably long time. Here, the flashy colors may not be the best option but what matters is the color of the house; there should be a matching color. The texture of the driveway should be long-lasting too; a shabby looking driveway would definitely not be pleasing to the eye.
- Driveway types that will not dislodge or sink especially since cars will often be parked on them.
Overall, a professional driveway company of sound experts should be able to provide advice or make suggestions for a style that will work with your home and surrounding area. At McFarlane Paving we will be more than happy to assist you with picking out a style and paving your driveway.
If you have any questions regarding our driveway company or the types of driveways we can pave, please call us today at 201-664-2696.